Wednesday, February 07, 2007

It’s a Small, Small…

I don’t want to finish the title of this post because large companies are on a roll lately issuing cease and desist letters to bloggers large and small. Check out what the pork people did to this one blogger and her response. Needless to say, these here blogs and our community have power.

As soon as I launched this blog, I found great support from my fellow South Floridian’s who blog. One, is The Florida Masochist. Apparently, he’s written about how different the rules are in Florida for quite a while and he’s done a great job. Don’t worry Masochist, as a former journalist, with integrity, I may add, I wouldn’t steal another’s material. Here’s a link to his post on my post…very circular kind of thing. I love it. Attribution is key and the only way to build respect. I’ll always link back to an original source if I use it.

Speaking of respect, here’s a question to those that read this humble blog.

Do your neighbors have roosters?

I moved out of the Gables in 2005 after my landlord had to sell my building because of the crazy property taxes. I wound up in 33133. Technically, it’s not in Coconut Grove, but I feel as though I live in it anyway. I’m in the Grove almost every day and love the atmosphere, the history and the people.

When I moved out, I bought a duplex near the Publix on 27th…and quickly discovered, my neighbors have roosters. Not one, but two. These poor birds have no idea what they’re programmed to do, which is namely crow when the sun comes up…or at least that’s what the cartoons always told me they do. It’s been a long time since I’ve watched good cartoons, but that’s another subject for another blog.

So, roosters anyone? This ain’t the Gables, it’s 33133 which means it’s Miami, where rules are mere suggestions.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to love the changing rules with ever avenue you cross.

Each zip code has its own rule set really. 33133 is Unique in that it has 4 or 5 sets.

Cool concept for the blog btw.

Anonymous said...

About two houses down in the North section of 33155 there's a neighbor with 2-5 roosters on any given day; roosting to their hearts content from 2-5am, 8-11am, and 4-6pm. The 'toons never warned me of this. And to think, the Animaniacs were usually so right! =\

Gabriel J. Lopez-Bernal said...

The Roosters are a nuisance. Anyone who has ever had to endure them daily could attest to the fact that they shouldn’t be kept as pets in urban areas…

Anonymous said...

Well well... I used to live on SW 13 Avenue, two houses from Calle Ocho, and the neighbors next door had a full hen house with the corresponding roosters (I would say there were at least three of them). They used to crow at any time of the day or night (there was absolutely no logic to their crowing schedule). I used to think they only did this when the sun came up, I mean, isn't there a biblical story about this thing? Anyway, even if the roosters had made their noise only when the sun came up, I couldn't sleep late on weekends. Sometimes I would wake up in a rage on a Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. and feel the need to get a pellet gun and.. you know. I love animals, but when you wake up so early after going to bed at 4:00 a.m.... I used to go into a blind rage that lasted about thirty minutes. I never did anything to the roosters anyway.
What's more, my neighbors also had a bunch of ducks and hens that loved to go into my front lawn. It was like a goddamn farm. The hens would start digging and screwing up the lawn and make a mess of dirt and debris in front of my house.
Aaanyway, I called code enforcement on them a couple of times, but it didn't seem to have any effect at all.