Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bright Lights, Big City, Snow, a Fire Station and Karma! (plus a bit extra...)

My last post a couple of weeks ago touched on my feathery neighbors a few houses away. Yes, the pair of roosters and probably a few hens. Now, whenever I’m outside and I hear their sounds, I think a bit differently. The post also brought led to a few comments about how different our city is from block to block, much less zip code to zip code.

In the same thought as block to block, I headed to the big apple a few days ago (more like two weeks ago) and after we took off we headed east and I took a look outside at this crazy town we call Miami and wondered, just how many different rules there are for the myriad of blocks, streets and neighborhood. I figure there must be tons!

So anyway, back to New York City and its relation to the roosters. It’s a crazy town for sure, but as I waded through snow, ice and something called “ice-pellets”, I really missed Miami. Not because of the warmth, but because of the routine sounds…by this of course I mean…you guessed it, the roosters. Though I was staying in a pretty nice hotel, my window was about 14 stories above a fire station and though I busted on the roosters a few weeks ago, karma got me good. See, the fire station must have been blocked by traffic quite a bit, because about once an hour during the evening, I’d say until around 11:00 pm, I’d hear the sirens of a fire truck or rescue unit trying to get in or out of the station. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t about the great work the FDNY does, I have mad respect for them, it’s just that I missed my roosters. In reality the siren’s weren’t as bad as the midnight garbage and delivery trucks which seemed to make as much noise as possible! Funny what you can get used too.

Now, onto a rule I’ve just seen broken and thought it worthy of a mention here.

Over at the Coconut Grove Grapevine, they’ve been following the whole Mercy Hospital land use/rezoning/crazy tall condo project being proposed. I’m not getting into that mess. It’s too complicated and besides, no roosters allowed on that side of US1, I’m sure.

What caught my eye is a headline on the Miami Herald’s online edition, which read:
“Balloons show planned high-rises' Viscaya skyline impact”

The rule broken here? Always double check the spelling of a National Historic Landmark in your neighborhood…people are bound to notice and wonder who’s checking these things out!

Enjoy!

No comments: